Pamplin Scholars Program for Virginians
The Pamplin Scholars Program consists of two scholarships: the Pamplin Leadership Award and the Pamplin Scholar Award. The Pamplin Leadership Award is open to any high school senior that applies to Virginia Tech and is presented annually to up to 40 qualified students from among the Commonwealth of Virginia's public high schools. The Pamplin Leadership Award is a $5,000 one-year academic, merit-based scholarship. A student awarded the Pamplin Leadership Award is automatially eligible to apply for the Pamplin Scholar Award during her/his first year at Virginia Tech. Only winners of the Pamplin Leadership Award may apply for the Pamplin Scholar Award, which provides full Virginia Tech tuition and fees until graduation provided winners maintain good academic standing.
Pamplin Leadership Award
In Pamplin Leadership Award winners (Pamplin Leaders), we seek students who demonstrate superior intellectual promise and academic performance, dedication to their communities, interest and success in physical fitness and health, and unimpeachable integrity. Students who accept this award must also agree to join University Honors and work toward an honors diploma.
- Student must be a senior enrolled at a Virginia public high school. While only a student who will matriculate at Virginia Tech can receive the award, please submit the application to your counselor even if you do not yet know your status of admission.
- Must have a 3.80 overall GPA and be ranked in the top ten percent of his/her class.
- The Pamplin Leadership Award is open to students applying to all majors.
- Students who accept this award must also agree to join University Honors and work toward an honors diploma.
- Students enrolled in a partial-day Governors or magnet school should apply through the guidance office of their home-base high school. Students enrolled in all-day Governors or magnet schools should apply through the guidance office of that school.
A student may find and complete this application independently or receive the application from her/his high school counselor. In any case, the application must be certified and submitted by the high school counselor/scholarship coordinator. While counselors might review multiple candidates, we ask that each high school submit only its top-ranked candidate. Applications sent directly by student candidates will not be accepted. Detailed instructions can be found on the application guidelines page that accompanies the application.
- High school counselors must postmark the application by February 6, 2015.
- Announcement of winners and students with honorable mention will be sent by April 1, 2015.
Pamplin Scholar Award
Only Pamplin Leaders are eligible to apply for the Pamplin Scholar Award and be named Pamplin Scholars. This application process begins in the fall of the Pamplin Leaders' first year at Virginia Tech.
- Must be a first year student enrolled in University Honors
- Must be a Pamplin Leader
- Must have a 3.6 overall GPA after fall semester grades
- Open to students in all majors
- No more than two or three Pamplin Scholars will be selected each year.
One stapled, hard copy of the application should be returned by 5pm on the first day of the spring semester to the Pamplin Scholars Program Coordinator. Qualifying applicants will be invited for interviews.
- Applications due by 5pm on the first day of the spring semester
- Qualifying applicants invited to interview by the end of February
- Winners notified by the end of March
Applications for both the Pamplin Leadership Award and the Pamplin Scholar Award will be available beginning in November, 2014.